WASHINGTON – A humanitarian ceasefire will take effect on Monday in the conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the Nagorno-Karabakh region, a joint statement from the US State Department and the two governments said on Sunday.

The ceasefire will take effect at 8:00 am local time (0400 GMT) on Oct 26, 2020, according to the statement.

Visiting foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan met with US Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun on Saturday and reaffirmed their countries’ commitment to implement and abide by the humanitarian ceasefire agreed earlier this month, the statement said.

A new round of armed conflict broke out on Sept 27 along the contact line of the Nagorno-Karabakh region. Armenia and Azerbaijan have been at loggerheads over the mountainous region since 1988. Peace talks have been held since 1994 when a ceasefire was reached, although there have been minor sporadic clashes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Michael Moore faces backlash after questioning Biden’s appeal among young voters

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com. Filmmaker Michael Moore apparently touched a nerve Saturday when he suggested that former Vice President Joe Biden still had to earn young voters’ support before the presidential…

Ryanair blames European ‘mismanagement’ for winter cuts

LONDON — Ryanair became the latest European airline to announce big reductions in its winter schedule after coronavirus-related travel restrictions were reimposed across the continent. Casting the blame on European governments for “mishandling” air travel during the pandemic, the Ireland-based…

Erdogan warns of ‘military force’ against Syria amid Idlib exodus

Turkey may launch a military operation in Syria’s northwestern Idlib province unless fighting there is quickly halted, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said. Meanwhile, an exodus has shaken the region, the last rebel stronghold in Syria‘s nearly nine-year war, as hundreds of thousands…

Trump’s disgraced former lawyer to be released from prison

Donald Trump’s former attorney Michael Cohen — currently serving a three-year prison sentence for lying to Congress and campaign finance violations involving hush money to women who have claimed having affairs with the president — will serve the remainder of…