As many as 103 survivors have been freed from collapsed buildings, said Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan

Around 3,000 tents have been set up, while student dormitories are ready to host locals who must stay away from damaged buildings

At least 39 people have died after a major earthquake struck western Turkey, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said, adding that as many as 103 survivors have been freed from collapsed buildings.

A total of 885 people were hospitalised, 667 of whom have already been dismissed, Erdogan told reporters in Turkey’s third largest city, Izmir, where a 6.6-magnitude earthquake destroyed nearly 20 buildings and triggered a sea surge.

Around 3,000 tents have been set up, while student dormitories are ready to host locals who must stay away from damaged buildings, Erdogan said.

The Turkish president thanked world leaders for messages of solidarity, adding that more than 90 countries have shared condolences.

More than 30 hours into operations, as many as 5,000 rescuers were still searching for signs of life under the rubble of at least nine collapsed buildings in central Izmir on Saturday, the state-run broadcaster TRT showed.

On top of an eight-storey Riza Bey apartment block in Bayrakli district that had collapsed, rescuers tirelessly drilled, using cranes to remove concrete blocks in hopes of reaching survivors. More than 20 people are believed to be trapped in the wreckage, TRT added.

The latest survivor was a 62-year-old man, identified as Halim Sari.

Emergency authority AFAD shared a video of the rescue efforts, showing a rescuer calling on Sari to stay calm, minutes before he was pulled from under a massive block.

Earlier, in a separate operation, rescuers pulled a mother, identified as Seher Dereli Perincek, and her three children from the rubble of an eight-storey building. One of the children has died, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said. Efforts are under way to reach her fourth child at the Doganlar apartment block, TRT said. Twenty more people are believed to be trapped at the same site, TRT said.

This is the third deadly earthquake so far this year in Turkey, which sits on several active seismic fault lines. Two separate earthquakes in the country’s east killed more than 40 people in January.

Earlier in the day, Erdogan vowed to rebuild homes for those affected and speed up earthquake safety measures.

A devastating quake near Turkey’s largest city, Istanbul, in 1999 killed more than 17,000 people in the greater region.

Turkey has since introduced stricter construction regulations and initiated projects to rebuild weak buildings, particularly the unregulated flats that mushroomed amid a rush to build up urban centres since the 1970s. The opposition has criticised Erdogan’s government for failing to accelerate urban transformation efforts.

Most of the collapsed buildings in Izmir are more than 35 years old and were built in poor standards, experts argued on TRT broadcast.

“We swiftly need to overcome bureaucratic obstacles before urban development,” Kemal Kilicdaroglu, the head of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), told reporters on Saturday in Izmir.

He urged parliament to take action.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

I don’t have it! My week of not being sick with coronavirus

It’s almost two weeks ago and we’re sitting on the terrace having breakfast in Siem Reap when one of us gets a text message from work. “It says if I have been travelling overseas, when I return I can’t go…

Black History Month reflects Britain’s confusion about itself… it should be called White Supremacy Month instead

With Black History Month now under way in the UK – an institution imported wholesale from the USA – this country’s sad, low-stakes racial politics are more sharply in focus than usual. So far the national soul-searching about its colonial…

Saudis say Yemen’s government, separatists agree to truce

The Saudi-led coalition embroiled in a years-long conflict in Yemen announced on Monday that Emirati-backed southern separatists and the country’s internationally recognized government have agreed to a ceasefire after months of infighting. The agreement aims to close the rift between…

Mueller defends Russia probe, says Roger Stone ‘remains a felon’

Donald Trump may have commuted Roger Stone’s prison sentence but the US president’s longtime ally remains a convicted criminal, former special counsel Robert Mueller has said. Stone, 67, had been set to begin serving a 40-month prison term on Tuesday…