Fox News senior foreign affairs correspondent Greg Palkot has the details on ‘Bill Hemmer Reports’

The Trump administration on Friday announced that it has ended five cultural exchange programs with China that it claims are “propaganda tools.”

The State Department said the nixed programs are the Policymakers Educational China Trip Program, the U.S.-China Friendship Program, the U.S.-China Leadership Exchange Program, the U.S.-China Transpacific Exchange Program and the Hong Kong Educational and Cultural Program. 

RATCLIFFE URGES BIDEN ”TO BE HONEST’ ABOUT CHINA THREAT, WARNS AGAINST ‘POLITICIZING INTELLIGENCE’ 

The programs allowed government employees to travel using funding from foreign governments.

“While other programs funded under the auspices of the [Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act] are mutually beneficial, the five programs in question are fully funded and operated by the PRC government as soft power propaganda tools,” the statement said. “They provide carefully curated access to Chinese Communist Party officials, not to the Chinese people, who do not enjoy freedoms of speech and assembly.” 

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the U.S. welcomes cultural programs that are “reciprocal and fair,” but “one-way programs such as these are not mutually beneficial.”

The Trump administration has taken a hardline approach toward China, pushing back on its incursions into human rights against religious minorities and in Hong Kong, as well as tackling privacy concerns related to Chinese technology in the U.S. It has shown no sign of slowing down on that approach in the last days of the administration.

STATE DEPARTMENT RESTRICTS VISAS FOR CHINESE COMMUNIST PARTY MEMBERS, PROMPTING RETALIATION

The administration also announced Friday that it has restricted visas for Chinese officials and their immediate family to protect the U.S. from the Chinese Communist Party’s “malign influence.”

The change reduces the maximum validity of the visas from 10 years to one month, the State Department said.

In an interview with Fox News this week, Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe urged the incoming Biden administration to  acknowledge that China is the “greatest national security threat that we face.”

“People that equate other things, or say … Russia is a greater threat, they are politicizing intelligence,” he said. 

Fox News’ Brooke Singman, Bradford Betz and Rich Edson contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Judge says USPS chief DeJoy may have to testify after order to sweep for ballots

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy may have to testify under oath about the U.S. Postal Service‘s apparent failure to complete a court-mandated sweep of processing centers for undelivered mail-in ballots before a Tuesday afternoon deadline.  U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan in Washington…

Justice Department sues Melania Trump’s former adviser over tell-all book

The Justice Department on Tuesday filed a civil lawsuit against a former top aide to first lady Melania Trump who released a tell-all book last month featuring damning revelations from her friendship with the first lady and her time in…

7 key facts about Biden’s big lead over Trump

The first two high-quality, big-name national polls since last week’s presidential debate show Joe Biden leading President Trump by 14 points (NBC News/Wall Street Journal) and by 16 points (CNN). New high-quality polls in crucial Pennsylvania and Arizona, meanwhile, show…

Two lawsuits filed against Trump’s plan to open oil and gas drilling in Alaska’s Arctic refuge

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com. Two federal lawsuits were filed on Wednesday against the Trump administration over its plan to open up close to 1.6 million acres of Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife…