ANKARA – More than 600,000 health workers in Turkey have received their first doses of COVID-19 shots developed by China’s Sinovac during the first two days of the country’s vaccination program, Turkish Health Ministry’s data showed on Friday.

 

Turkey reported on Friday 8,314 new COVID-19 cases, including 921 symptomatic patients, as the total number of positive cases in the country reached 2,373,115, according to its health ministry.

The death toll from the virus in Turkey rose by 169 to 23,664, while the total recoveries climbed to 2,246,047 after 9,109 more cases recovered in the last 24 hours.

The rate of pneumonia in COVID-19 patients stands at 4.5 percent and the number of seriously ill patients is 2,311 in the country, said the ministry.

A total of 167,211 tests were conducted over the past day, with the overall number of tests in Turkey reaching 27,066,653.

The country started mass vaccination for COVID-19 on Jan. 14 after the authorities approved the emergency use of the Chinese vaccine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

The secret to Australia’s success in beating the coronavirus? Being an island helps.

SYDNEY — When it comes to defeating the coronavirus pandemic, Australia has a lesson for the world: It pays to be an island. On its present trajectory, Australia could eliminate the virus by Christmas, some epidemiologists say, and join New…

There are 2 different species of red pandas, genetic study shows

Red pandas, the bushy-tailed and russet-furred bamboo munchers that dwell in Asian high forests, are not a single species but rather two distinct ones, according to the most comprehensive genetic study to date on these endangered mammals. Scientists said on…

Boeing cuts 12,000 jobs as COVID-19 wallops demand for jets

Boeing is cutting more than 12,000 jobs through layoffs and buyouts as the coronavirus pandemic seizes the travel industry, and more cuts are coming. One of the nation’s biggest manufacturers will lay off 6,770 U.S. employees this week, and another…

Pompeo says U.S. not seeking to divide Caribbean bloc Caricom

KINGSTON (Reuters) – U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday the United States is not seeking to divide Caribbean bloc Caricom after some governments voiced discontent that only certain countries had been invited to meetings with him in…