Obstacles are ‘just too huge, which means we need a least another 15 days or even more to reach the miners’, according to deputy head of the local publicity department

Blast at the Hushan mine in Shandong province sealed 22 workers hundreds of metres underground on January 10

Rescuers believe it could take at least another two weeks to free

in eastern China, dashing hopes of an imminent retrieval for a group that has already spent 12 days entombed by an explosion.

The increasingly desperate attempt to save 21 workers has been further complicated by a massive blockage that has delayed drilling efforts, according to state media.

“The obstacles are just too huge, which means we need a least another 15 days or even more to reach the miners,” said Gong Haitao, deputy head of the local publicity department, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

The debris standing in the way weighed about 70 tonnes, Gong said.

The blast at the Hushan mine in Shandong province sealed 22 workers hundreds of metres underground on January 10.

On Sunday,

with 11 miners stuck at one location about 580 metres (1,900 feet) below the surface, and much-needed food and medical supplies were lowered down to them.

One of the group was seriously injured in the initial explosion and was

after suffering head injuries and falling into a coma.

A 12th miner is believed to be trapped on his own, 100 metres further down in rising waters.

For the other 10 miners, hopes are dwindling as they have not been heard from since the explosion.

To extract the group, rescuers are trying to widen one of the shafts to eventually allow the workers to be brought up to the surface.

But progress has been slow because they are drilling through granite, according to officials.

State television footage on Friday showed large piles of unearthed debris at the rescue site, and a drill boring down through a deep shaft.

Xinhua reported that the miners had been trying to help search for the missing group using laser pointers and loudspeakers, but had received no reply.

Rescuers have lowered life detectors and nutrient solutions into other sections of the mine as well, without response.

Mining accidents are common in China, where the industry has a poor safety record and regulations are often weakly enforced.

In December,

after becoming stuck underground in the southwestern city of Chongqing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Canadians receiving the CERB must re-apply to continue receiving benefits

Canadians who applied for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit for the first four weeks it was available will need to reapply if they want to continue receiving payments. The federal government’s CERB offers individual Canadians $2,000 over a four week period,…

Ben Carson hits back at Dems calling Trump a racist: ‘Nothing could be further from the truth’

Ben Carson, the secretary of the housing and urban development, on Thursday struck back at Democrats who have called President Trump a racist, saying they “could not be more wrong.” “President Trump does not dabble in identity politics,” Carson said during…

Trump says he “aced” cognitive test, challenges Biden to take it

President Donald Trump said in an interview that he recently took a cognitive test and “aced it.” He also challenged presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden to take one.  Mr. Trump told Fox News’ Sean Hannity on his show Thursday night that…

Federal judge orders Trump admin to respond to accusations census workers ordered to halt operations

Fox News Flash top headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking on Foxnews.com. A federal judge ordered the Trump administration Wednesday to respond to accusations from census workers that they had been ordered to halt field operations. The Trump administration…