State-backed documentary follows residents and medical staff as they battled to contain the Covid-19 outbreak

City where disease first emerged endured a 76-day lockdown early last year

China is rolling out a state-backed film praising Wuhan ahead of the anniversary of the 76-day lockdown in the central city where the coronavirus was first detected.

The documentary

features contributions from 30 filmmakers portraying the suffering and sacrifices made by the city’s 11 million residents, medical staff and front-line workers as they battled the virus that began racing through the city in December 2019.

The film is one of at least three documentaries released about the Wuhan lockdown, including

by activist artist Ai Weiwei, who now lives abroad following a campaign of harassment by the Chinese Communist Party.

may benefit from strong state support, Ai’s

has been rejected by festivals, cinemas and streaming services. He attributes the phenomenon to fears over offending the Communist Party, which controls both what films can be shown in China and what Chinese films can be displayed abroad.

The lockdown imposed on January 23, 2020, was eventually extended to surrounding areas in Hubei province, confining some 56 million people to their homes.

The film directed by Cao Jinling debuted in Wuhan and goes into general release in other Chinese cities on Friday. It’s not clear if there are plans to show it overseas.

“We wanted to record the journey of battling against the Covid-19 epidemic via motion picture. Some of the details, including the intense care, anxious waiting, heartbreaking farewells and hopeful rebirths, might strike a chord with viewers,” Cao was quoted as saying by state broadcaster CCTV.

In the trailer, medical staff repeatedly express their determination to prevail over the outbreak. “I have a burning love for my hometown and I will do whatever I can to save it,” says one ambulance driver.

Hospitals and morgues were overwhelmed at the height of the crisis and Wuhan accounts for the bulk of China’s death toll of 4,635.

Following a thinly attended showing in Wuhan on Friday, Wang Yu said the movie had awakened both memories of the trauma of lockdown and fears for what might still lie ahead.

“It’s hard to describe. It’s been a year since then, and to think back now, it’s still painful,” said Wang, 31, who said relatives of her husband who died in the outbreak appeared in the film.

“There is the mutated virus, there’s fear. It’s the second Lunar New Year holiday that we have to pass like this,” she said. “Things are little better than last year but I’m worried, it’s not completely over. You’re still under the effect of the virus, the fear and the terror.”

The film echoes China’s official line that the measures it took, including the lockdown, bought precious time for the world to prepare for the pandemic. Critics say habitual Communist Party secrecy and weak control measures allowed the virus’ initial spread.

The preponderance of opinion among experts is that the coronavirus emerged from Wuhan, possibly from a wholesale food market where live wild animals that could carry the virus were sold. China’s government, however, has sought to cast doubts on the concept of Wuhan as the source of the pandemic, pushing fringe theories that the virus was actually brought from outside the country, possibly by US soldiers.

The line seems to have gone down well among many Wuhan residents, who maintain the virus came from elsewhere and see themselves purely as victims.

After months of negotiations, China finally gave permission last week for the World Health Organization to send a team of international experts to begin investigating the virus’ origins. They are currently undergoing two weeks of quarantine.

A panel of experts commissioned by the WHO criticised China and other countries this week for not moving to stem the initial outbreak earlier, prompting Beijing to concede it could have done better but also to defend its response.

Wuhan has been largely free from the virus since the end of lockdown while smaller outbreaks have set off renewed containment measures in many Chinese cities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Watch live: Trump holds his first rally since Ginsburg’s death

President Trump is holding a campaign rally in Fayetteville, North Carolina, on Saturday night. This will be the president’s first rally since learning of the death of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Mr. Trump was giving a speech in…

Kremlin sees no connection between attack on police in Tatarstan, events in France

MOSCOW, October 30. /TASS/. The attack carried out by a teenager on police officers in Tatarstan and the attack on church goers in France’s Nice have no connection between them, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov believes. According to him, the nature…

McConnell: New coronavirus relief ‘unlikely in the next 3 weeks’ as White House preps biggest offer yet

Senate Majority Leader sits down with ‘FOX News @ Night’ host Shannon Bream. Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell admitted that new coronavirus relief was unlikely to be passed before the election, even as the White House expressed more optimism Friday. “I think…

Rep. Nikema Williams replaced an icon and helped flip Ga. But she’s not done yet.

When House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called, newly elected Rep. Nikema Williams (D-Ga.) wondered if she was in trouble. Williams thought back to interviews she’d recently done on CNN and MSNBC. Could she have said something that caught the attention of…